The countdown begins and tomorrow is the big day.
- In the morning, your doctor’s office will call you to tell you the time of the surgery and when to get to the hospital. They will also give you instructions on what to do to prepare.
- The hospital will also call you to confirm your surgery time and what to do to prepare.
- You will need to take Magnesium Citrate. It’s a saline laxative to completely empty your bowel. This is use especially prior to surgeries.
- With the note of bullet point three, the best advice I can give you is to eat light like fish and vegetables. The first thought is to have your “last meal” and live it up but it’s best that you don’t. It will help the laxative and you on the toilet.
- Stop eating 8 hours before the time you are supposed to be at the hospital
- Make sure your bag is packed for the hospital (see packing items)
- Do not bring/wear any jewelry or expensive items
- Remove any body piercings
- Be sure to pack your insurance card and ID
- Pull out the clothes you are going to wear to the hospital. Wear shoes that are comfortable that you can slip on and off like flats or flip-flops. Most likely this is what you are going to wear going home so you don’t want shoes that you have to bend and tie.
Take it easy! Going into surgery can be stressful, however relax I recommend getting a massage a day or two before surgery. Besides, you won’t be able to lay on your stomach for at least three months.